The sun is out. Literally and figuratively.
Yes, the sun is shining and the buds on most plants and trees are patiently making their first appearance after this cold, yet mild winter. So I’m happy.
Sometimes one can forget about happiness. Sometimes I do, but I shouldn’t.
Sometimes, just lately, I tend to have to redirect my focus and think of all the great things that I have to be grateful for and try to not ponder on what I don’t have or especially on the great thing(s) that I used to have, but no longer do, because that’s when the unhappy seed begins to sprout, grow, and take over completely.
So to maintain my happiness level active and flowing, I will focus on this sunny day. I will focus on the lovely bouquet of violet alstromeria flowers on my table. I will focus on these delicious almond crepes with peaches…
And I will continue to tell myself to focus on these simple yet incredible things until I no longer have to focus on how to be happy. Until it feels like second nature, not mechanical. I will just be happy…without much effort or thought. Yep, just how it used to feel. This…this is just a bit of turbulence that will be over soon.
– using almond milk and almond flour in the crepe batter along with sliced toasted almonds will achieve a very distinct almond flavor that will pair up very nicely with the soft and sweet peaches.
3 peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
About 2 T butter
1/2 C water
1/2 C sugar
8 oz almond milk
8 oz eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 oz AP flour
2 oz almond flour
2 T sugar
a pinch of salt
sliced toasted almonds
Procedure/Recipe for Cooked Peaches:
1. Melt butter in pan and add peeled and sliced peaches. Cook on medium-high heat until peaches begin to soften and gain color.
2. Add 1/2 C sugar and 1/2 C water to the pan and cook until peaches are soft and sweet and sugar has completely dissolved into a light syrup. Set aside.
Procedure/Recipe for Crepes:
1. Combine almond milk, eggs, and vanilla in a large bown and stir well.
2. Add AP flour, almond flour, sugar, and salt to mixture and whisk until all ingredients are uniformly combined. Let batter rest for about 30 minutes in the refrigarator.
3. Heat pan over medium heat and spray lightly with vegetable oil.
4. Pour in just enough batter to coat the bottom of the pan as you swirl and tilt the pan so that a thin layer forms. Cook until crepe is set and batter becomes dry on top, about one minute.
5. Loosen edges of crepe with a small offset spatula and flip crepe over. Cook the other side for about 15-20 seconds.
6. Spread cooked peaches onto crepe and fold crepe in half.
7. Fold crepe in half once more.
8. Drizzle a bit of the leftover syrup where the peaches were cooked in over the crepe.
9. Sprinkle sliced toasted almonds over the top and sift 10x sugar over the crepe.
– superrrrrr delicious almond flavored crepe. The bitterness of the toasted almonds and almond flour + the sweetness of the syrup and peaches + the slight tartness of the peaches = a well balanced and harmonious dessert.
– the actual crepe and the filling was very soft, but the sliced toasted almonds added a nice crunchy texture to offset the delicate smoothness.
– the sliced toasted almonds also strengthened the almond flavor along with the almond flour and almond milk.