Two words for you: Fried Baklava. I’ll let the pictures say the rest.
But really, this recipe is simple to execute and super gratifying to taste. It’s magnificently light and crispy on the outside while being decadently rich on the inside. The blend of honey, cinnamon, dates, and nut flavors will keep you coming back for more. More good news? Once the baklava are assembled, you are bound to enjoy them in a matter of seconds, as this baklava is…fried.
On another note, today is February 3, 2013. For me it’s just another regular Sunday, but for a multitude of other people, today is the Super Bowl, an event that in my opinion holds just as much power as a holiday.
Over the years, I have never watched the Super Bowl. I know nothing about the sport of football. Like really….. nothing. Oh wait, I guess I do know that people tend to enjoy chips and salsa, chili, various types of dips, an assortment of precut veggies, and of course….lots and lots of booze. And then there’s the other stuff. This year for example, Beyoncé will perform during half time. And those commercials…aren’t they good? See? I know a thing or two.
I have zero emotional connection to this sport, so instead of watching the Ravens and the 49ers fight over the Super Bowl trophy, I am keeping myself busy by reviewing this recipe I wrote a few days ago and bringing it to you. I hope you enjoy this as much as you may or may not enjoy the Super Bowl!
Yield: About 24 pieces. Serve immediately.
Ingredients for Baklava Filling:
3/4 C dates, roughly chopped
1/2 C walnuts
1/4 C pecans
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp honey
small pinch of salt
Recipe for Baklava Filling:
1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until mixture is finely grounded and comes together to form a paste. Set aside for later use.
Ingredients for Honey Cinnamon Cream:
1 C heavy cream
1/4 C honey
2 tsp cinnamon
Recipe for Honey Cinnamon Cream:
1. Combine heavy cream, honey, and cinnamon in bowl. Whisk until cream thickens and stiff peaks form. Refrigerate and set aside for later use.
Ingredients for Fried Baklava:
vegetable oil for deep frying
honey cinnamon cream
walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
Recipe for Fried Baklava:
1. Stack three sheets of phyllo dough over a cutting board. Make 2″ marks along the bottom edge of stack. Cut vertically along each mark to create 2″ strips.
2. Scoop 1/2 tsp of baklava filling. Form the filling into a ball with your hands and form the ball into a cylinder.
3. Place the cylinder at the bottom of each strip of phyllo dough.
4. Lightly apply eggwash along the strip of phyllo dough with a pastry brush.
5. Roll phyllo dough over the filling and keep rolling until the dough has gone around the filling four times. Cut across the phyllo dough to separate the roll. Place roll on a dish with seam side down. Repeat steps 1-5 until all of the filling has been used.
6. Heat up vegetable oil in a small sauce pan over low-medium heat and fry until golden brown. This happens fairly quickly, about 8-10 seconds.
7. Place fried baklava over a napkin to soak up excess oil.
8. Meanwhile, place honey cinnamon cream in a piping bag that has a #3 plain tip. Pipe spirals of cream on a serving plate. Place baklava over cream. Finish with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of finely chopped toasted walnuts.